9/22/08

Waking Up And Clearing Away Writers' Block


Research says our mind thinks more clearly, and we are happier people when we meditate. Meditate on what? You decide.

Which triggers my memory about a story... What, are you surprised?!

Once while I was in
Barnes and Nobles with my mom and young son, we passed by a lady comfortably snuggled up in a cozy chair with her eyes closed. Mom being the no-nonsense person said, "Why is she sleeping here? She NEEDS to go home and do her sleeping!"

Oh my. I told Mom she shouldn't say things like that out loud, as we continued on down the aisle. Without acknowledging my sentiments, Mom took a turn to the mystery section. My son and I pressed on to the "sale" tables.

In the distance, I kept hearing, "Ma'am, Ma'am. Uh ma'am. Excuse me. Ma'am, Ma'am. EXCUSE ME...EXCUSE ME, MA"AM!!!!" Realizing someone with an urgency to get my attention was on my tail, I halted my steps and turned to see who could possibly need me with such persistency.

Uh huh, you got it. It was Sleeping Beauty. And she was clearly not happy that she had been awakened by something besides a kiss.

I said, "Yes?"

"Excuse me, I just want you to know I was NOT sleeping."

"Well, I didn't say you were."

"WELL, for your information, I had my eyes closed because I was meditating."

"Like I said, Miss, I wasn't the one who said you were sleeping."

"I heard you. And I want you to know that I was meditating because my husband just left me, and I was meditating to send him messages to come back home to me."

"OOOK. Whatever you say ma'am."

Realizing she had purpose behind those closed eye-lids, who was I to argue? Who was I to convince her I did not speak ill of her behavior? She obviously wasn't in the mood to step outside of her box, but yet she wanted me to step out of mine.

For sure, it was probably an opportunity for me to exercise my counseling skills, but I just wasn't in the mood. I was only interested in finding the person who got me into this mess. Yes, sweet little Mama!

I chased up and down aisles, only to find her nestled away in some cranny with her nose stuck in a good read. I promptly told her what happened to which all I got was her trademark giggle. How do you argue with that? humph. Clearly Mom was not going to join the dance with me. So I gave it up. I went on about my shopping staying clear of anyone who even remotely looked like they might be thinking about nodding off while reading their book!

Well, there you have a life story. Amazing how one word can evoke emotions and memories, don't you think?

But really, my original point was that meditating has proven to help us feel better about ourselves and life. Your chosen method to meditate is up to you. I'm not certain I believe it will bring back your runaway spouse, but for sure it will energize your thought processes. Which in turn will clear your mind. And therein is a fertile place to pen a story.

So take some time out today and meditate on a Scripture verse, a prayer, a favorite proverb or saying, or how about a warm memory. And see if it clears your road-block down Writer's Lane.

Copyright © 2008 by Write Memories 4 Life. All rights reserved.

No comments: